What is it?
Many health practitioners believe leaky gut syndrome – or intestinal permeability – can happen when undigested particles pass through the intestinal wall and into the bloodstream1.
Leaky gut can be caused by:
- Candida overgrowth and dysbiosis (bacterial imbalance in the gut)1
- Chronic stress1
- Poor diet1
- Toxin overload1.
These undigested objects – toxins and germs – cause inflammation and affect the gut wall’s permeability (‘leaky gut’), initiating an immune response1. Leaky gut has been closely associated with the following conditions:
- Adrenal fatigue2
- Autoimmune disease2
- Chronic fatigue syndrome3
- Depression and anxiety2
- Eczema (and other skin issues)2
- Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD)and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)2
- Nutrient malabsorption2.
What can you do?
First of all, you’re advised to reduce or – better – avoid sugary foods and gluten. Instead, consider introducing into your diet:
- Anti-inflammatory foods – beets, blueberries, bok choy, broccoli, celery, chia seeds, coconut oil, flaxseeds, ginger, green leafy vegetables, pineapples, turmeric and walnuts4
- Fermented vegetables – kimchi, kvass and sauerkraut2
- Omega oils – linseed oil and Omega 3:6:9 Balance oil
- Raw cultured dairy – amasai, kefir, yogurt and some butters and cheeses2.
And why not consider supplements?
The Finchley Clinic provides the following food supplements which can help ease leaky gut and reduce food intolerance:
- Aloe Gold Natural (1,000ml and 485ml) – may help healthy digestion, immunity and skin
- Colostrum Plus (120 capsules) – also for gastritis, intestinal candida and food allergies
- Glutamine (100g, 200g and 90 capsules) – ideal for healing troubled guts
- Marshmallow Formula (60 capsules) – may help maintain normal intestinal permeability
- Mindlinx (60 capsules) – supports healthy function of the gastrointestinal tract
- Permatrol (90 capsules) – includes intestinal-supportive nutrients like L-glutamine, N-acetyl glucosamine and probiotic bacteria
- Restore (32floz, 16floz and 8floz) – works to restore the tight junctions of the gut
- Slippery Elm Intensive (75g) – also contains gamma oryzanol, licorice, marshmallow and aloe vera extracts, combining to support gut permeability.